Thursday, September 14, 2006

Monday, September 11 Urine, 9/11 Ceremony at US Embassy

I was peeing on a wall, which is commonly done in India, before I could read the sign saying “Don’t Urine Here” right in front of my face. Oops. What does it imply when you need a sign telling you not to urine here. Basically, walk a couple feet and it’s ok, go ahead. Throw trash anywhere you want, too. If it’s public space, it doesn’t matter. This explains a lot about Indian society, where homes are spotlessly clean, and streets remain dirty. I think this displays a lack of cooperation by members of society. This is seen in books I have read, as it is difficult for many Indians to cooperate in the workplace. Caste, status, and religious differences have historically accentuated these social divisions. This is also apparent because one’s family is paramount and the major support base. This means that within a group, one is accepted, but outside, it’s a dangerous place. Not paying mind to the date (the five-year anniversary of September 11) or my clothing, I didn’t realize until I was walking out the door to Hindi and to get a haircut, I was wearing my joke t-shirt that says: “One Nation; Faith Tested Since 1776; The Nation that Prays Together Stays Together”, with an American flag on it. Plus, I was wearing my cool sailor shorts, which were white and blue stripes. How stereotypical and coincidentally DISGUSTING. I’m surprised I wasn’t terrorist-bombed on the way. I had to change because the US Embassy invited everyone to go for a memorial service, so I wasn’t about to wear basically the American flag to the American Embassy, that’s just too flamboyant. Bob and Sally Goldman drove Nikhil and I to the embassy in Chanakyapuri District of New Delhi. There were roadblocks and literally dozens of guards surrounding the entire embassy compound. We got through security into the courtyard of the ambassador’s residence, a 50’s style building with gold columns. It wasn’t much to look at to be honest. There was a little podium set up that says “The Embassy of the United States of America”, and about fifty chairs set up to listen to the ceremony. I’m pretty sure we were the only four who were not pro-Bush among the entire fifty-person crowd of mostly white Americans. Four uniformed marines presented the colors and lowered the flag to half-mast. The soldier dropped part of the rope, which was not supposed to happen. For my entire life until that point, I have looked upon soldiers as strong, different, able robots in the prime of their lives. However, today I had a realization that they are just people. Actually, they are my peers, and in some cases, maybe even younger than I am. This time, when I saw them making a mistake, they seemed just as human as I, under their spotless black-and-white uniforms and serious faces. I could just as easily be in their position (Bush, along with 60% of the US population would prefer it). However, the only difference was that I am not willing (or obligated for financial reasons) to risk my life to promote a government agenda that I disagree with; they are. The Ambassador to India, a white-haired man in his sixties, gave a five-minute speech, very politically cautious, but nevertheless pro-Bush and country (how else do you think he get appointed to this position, and what do you think the response from the Republican crowd would be like if he told the truth and said “the war after 9/11 on terror is being miserably lost”). He even used the words, “those evildoers who try and undermine our way of life and values must be destroyed” [let’s just bomb the entire Middle East, minus Israel], “we continue to battle for freedom, and we are making progress in the war on terror” [last time I checked Osama bin Laden is still at large and extremist organizations have grown stronger], “five years ago the terrorists failed to tear apart our unity” [that’s why Bush’s approval rating is at 30%-and that’s being generous], and “we must bring the light of compassion, freedom, and democracy to the world” [because American values are always right, and we have a great track record, like Iraq, which lies in shambles and Civil War]. However, he did right in acknowledging the Mumbai bombings, relating that to our lives in India, and how it is a universal struggle to fight terrorism. Afterwards, everyone got to meet him and his extremely made-up wife. I shook his hand, but was more interested in the free unlimited iced tea and lemonade with ICE. It reminded me of Forrest Gump. It was such a yuppie country-club mingling session, everyone desperately trying to make influential connections. Nikhil and I took a look around the building, and we walked across the perfectly-manicured lawn to the pool, and I touched the water, so I could say that I have been in the US Embassy pool in New Delhi. One of the advantages of being in a metropolitan capital city like Delhi is that I, for the first time in my life, have proximity and access to a wealth of national archives, national events, ceremonies, and performances. I am beginning to grow fond of Delhi day by day. After that, I did some errands in Connaught Place, and wanted to eat South Indian thali at Sarawana Bhavan, which was ironic because Nikhil and I saw Tara and Snehal, who independently decided to go there, too.

No comments: