Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thursday, November 16 Republicans Lose Congress

Last week was a glorious time in American politics. The 2006 elections were held, and I didn’t get to vote because I’m overseas. But Thank God I didn’t even need to because, as it turns out, the Democrats have won control of the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years. In effect, this leaves President George W Bush virtually powerless for his last two years as president. Now he’s nothing but a useless lame duck. It’s funny reading the papers in India about the elections; they have such a negative bias towards Bush, as does every country on earth minus Israel. I’m overjoyed and relieved that America finally has regained some sense, and now I’m not as embarassed to tell people I’m an American (because people overseas all somehow know about this pivotal election, compared to Americans who still think ‘Iraq’ is a tasty lamb dish).

No comments: