Sunday, October 29, 2006

Monday, October 16 Meeting With Shanta Verma, Shopping With Mom

I had to get back today for Hindi and to meet with Professor Shanta Verma, who delayed everyone’s meeting until today when she realized she didn’t have time before the break. When we went up to talk to her, this is her reply: “I completely forgot about our meeting. Can you come back in a few hours? I have some personal things to take care of first. Oh, and I forgot your proposals at home.” I say, “Actually my parents are in from out-of-town and I have to leave in 30 minutes to meet up with them for a tour”. She replies, “You give me no time. Ok can you push back your plans?” What is your problem, lady? You are so inconsiderate. I reply hesitantly, “[basically NO WAY]”. So I made her meet with us in only 30 minutes, but if I had to actually meet up with them I’d be furious. It’s so rude what she’s doing. Not to mention she basically told me that my topic was too broad, and I can’t possibly cover the entire thing in the time I have. What kind of paper does she expect? I honestly can’t see her sitting down and reading a 20 page paper. Moreover, I went to Hindi to realize I got a 68% on the test. Ro, who speaks Hindi fluently, scored an 82%. Seriously, someone needs to stop Professor Geeta-Ji, she’s on a rampage. I met up with Mom and Dad, and I took Mom to the State Emporiums Complex in Connaught Place. She liked it because it was hassle-free, no bargaining, and all types of handicrafts were on display. It was more expensive, but supports the cottage industry workers in the rural areas. She ended up buying a really cool wood carving, marble elephants, perfumes, and more scarves. Then I took her over to Janpath, the best shopping district I’ve found in New Delhi for assorted Indian curios. She bought some shirts and skirts, and we bought Rajasthani fabrics for $3.50 a blanket. We had a ton of good souvenirs, and she was done shopping for this trip. We were exhausted and took a cab back and went up to the lounge for wine. Then we had the Oktoberfest buffet again. I intentionally didn’t eat so that I could eat the seven plates here. I said my goodbyes to Mom and Dad (I’ll meet up with them in three days though).

No comments: