Sunday, October 29, 2006

Monday, October 23 Errands, Leniency in India

I took care of a bunch of stuff I have needed to get done for a long time. I went to the study center today and worked on the computer for a while. I got an electric mosquito insecticide machine, not wanting to take any chances against mosquitoes. I went to Hindi. During class, Natalya goes, “Is this a compliment, because since I’ve been here I’ve been called ‘Moti Gai’ [Fat Cow] a lot”. Apparently it’s a compliment to be called a cow, but not a fat cow. I didn’t know whether or not to burst out laughing or just try my best not to. What I admire about Indians is their honesty and realization of humanity in everyone. We are social animals, so everyone is expected to be social, and people will talk to you and help you whenever you need. Everyone is supposed have fun and to sing and dance (not just people who can), and everyone is allowed freedoms. Anyone can practice any religion here. As kids, they realize that they should not have rules, but rather it’s their time to play and have fun. Indians love kids, and let them play where they want, go to the bathroom wherever they want, and talk to strangers. Even though it’s a sexually rigid society, they realize that people like sex, and manuals have even been written on it. The culture realizes that humans have basic needs, and these needs are respected rather than suppressed and privatized. Eating, going to the bathroom, bathing, sleeping, walking, smoking, spitting, showing non-sexual affection, throwing trash, picking your nose, and brushing teeth are all completely acceptable to do in public. In America, it seems, everyone is trying to deny the fact that human beings actually do these things. Well, guess what? They do!

No comments: