Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday, October 22 Taj Mahal, Parents Leave India

We got up early and went to one of my favorite places in India so far, the one and only Taj Mahal. It was once again, beautiful, but unfortunately it was a lot more crowded with tourists than the time I came for sunrise two months ago. And he said that it gets much more busy in high season, and on days where everyone’s not hung over (not really) from Diwali. We had a guided tour and we took a bunch of pictures, of course. It was still just as impressive, the sheer size, symmetry, inlay work, gardens, and the changing colors of the marble. Afterwards, we had breakfast, packed, and were driven on the really nice National Highway 2 to Delhi. Getting into Delhi, we saw a crowd standing around a lifeless boy’s body in the middle of the road, like he was just hit by a car. I had the driver go through the bustling Chor Bazaar and Chandni Chowk, on his way to my place in Civil Lines. I packed all my stuff, and Mom and Dad took back my souvenirs in my two enormous overstuffed backpacks. Dad rested while we went to the Maiden’s Hotel for dinner. Mom and Dad got all the bags in their taxi, and left for the airport at 7. It was sad, I feel homesick. I’m supposed to fly home on December 31, but I’ve decided I’m going to get too lonely and bored, since everyone else is leaving before the 15th. So I’m going to have Mom change my departure to December 21, which is still a long time, but at least that’ll give me time to travel in the south and still have time at home. I’m not the only one; everyone else is getting homesick and wants to leave soon, too. I cleaned up, took a shower, and watched American Wedding with the girls. Nikhil kept going outside to smoke, and left the door wide open each time. I got five mosquito bites. I was pissed; I do not want to get Dengue Fever, least of all in my own apartment.

No comments: