Saturday, December 02, 2006

Thursday, November 30 Last Day of DU, Last Day in Jains House

Today is November 30, meaning it’s the last day of November, and in the Jain’s house. Actually we were supposed to stay for December, but we’re basically just not going to tell them, and move out today without their knowing, since they've cheated us so many times. It’s also the last day at Delhi University. So, it’s a really happy occasion for both reasons. I took the Metro for the final time, and waited to get my paper bound. I walked into the Political Science building, and the security guard came up to me, and handed me a receipt, for the call I made a week ago when I refused to pay Rs 409 for a 12-minute call. It had transposed and missing digits, and was crap. He’s obviously getting a commission from the phone booth man if I pay. Too bad he ain’t getting any of my money. Kelsey and I were the only ones there, and we had to make small-talk with Veena Kukreja (who still uses Hindi words when talking to us in English) for 15 minutes about Delhi weather, etc. She said my Kashmir paper looked good, and the 30-page length must have overshadowed the fact that it even though it didn’t include any mention of the Kargil War, the most significant recent development in the dispute, and a huge cause of tension for the current peace process. Ro, Puran, and I darted past the crooked security guards and got some DU t-shirts before going to Shanta Verma’s class for the last time. Once again, we all doodled. We handed her our papers, and got out of there. We walked the halls for the last time, and it felt like the last day of school in high school. We took a rickshaw back to the Metro, and of course ate Fiesta for lunch, where I had my usual Corporate Thali. After that, we packed all our stuff and left their room a war zone, with trash and clothes everywhere. I had to leave a bunch of my clothes (it’s okay, I only paid like 60 cents a shirt and $3 for jeans). We called taxis, and they picked us up and we all moved our stuff downstairs. There’s no way I won’t exceed the weight limit on the plane. Plus, I have the maximum number of bags allowed. It’s going to be fun. The only person left in our house now is Nikhil, so if the Jains try charging us for anything, he’ll have to pay and rightfully so, since he cheated all of us out of $20 each. But more importantly, I never have to see Nikhil again! I never got to tell him off, though. We rode to Luke, Shawn, Sudev, and Amber’s house across from the Vidhan Sabha Metro Station. Their house is really nice and has marble floors, nice bathrooms, and a really socially-conducive setup. We had to leave immediately for South Delhi, where we saw Dhoom 2, the newest Bollywood blockbuster. It had extremely catchy tunes and all of us immediately downloaded the songs. Other than that, I didn’t really understand the plot, and didn’t really like it besides the fact that there were beautiful girls. The movie was totally risqué by Indian standards; the main characters actually kissed, and the crowd went wild, cheering and whistling. After the movie, we went to Connaught Place to eat, and they wanted Pizza Hut, but I’m on my mission to get sick of Indian food by December 20, so I ate at Khana Unlimited.

No comments: