Thursday, August 31, 2006

August 30 Sam off to College, Beekeeping, Fasting

It’s actually starting to cool off in Delhi thank goodness. Meaning that the high is 90 degrees and the low is 75. Sam went off to his freshman year of college a week ago in the blistering summer inferno of the University of Arizona in Tucson. He’s been going to some frat parties and meeting people, and he’s been trying to get a job, too. I called him once to talk about it. He had to go to temporary housing because he was late in turning in his acceptance. He’s late…Surprise, surprise. It’s apparently rush and he says that the Sig Ep house seems boring. Oh well. What are my parents going to do now that both of us are gone? When I asked them, they replied, “Relax and party”. It’s kind of like life here. I don’t have any work to do, so all I end up doing is spending money and eating. Today, I wasn’t as sick, but I wanted to take it easy. I left the house once and that was to pick up my laundry. I talked on AIM and Facebooked, and cleaned up my music files. There was a swarm of hornets in our kitchen, which was inhibiting us from cooking. So, Ro got dressed in a white shirt, white pants, white shoes, white hat, and white bandana; basically white clothing covering his entire body, with two eyeholes. He killed all of them and closed and sealed the vent. So now we can cook, but I fasted again, until 9 pm. That makes it 55 straight hours of fasting; I think this is the longest stretch in my life that I’ve gone without eating. And it was completely voluntary and all in my mind, because I was starving. I either feel like a monk, sorority girl, frat boy during hell week (that actually doesn’t cheat), animal in hibernation, patient preparing for surgery, or really poor Indian. After that I started to get lightheaded (I wonder why), so I ate 12 loaves of bread. Gross but delicious. Mariel, Kim, and Alixs’ tall pale English middle-school friend Reid is here. She apparently made her plane tickets before asking them if she could see them, so now they’re obligated to entertain her for two weeks. Friday is Mariel’s birthday, and the girls are planning to have an EAP pre-party, followed by club night at Fire, a nice dance club connected to the Park Hotel. 40 drunk Americans rolling out via the heavily-policed Metro at night…good idea.

No comments: