Monday, August 21, 2006

Friday, August 18 My pathetic Hindi

I went to class at 9, and the teacher was two hours late. Nevertheless, we had class. Puran left, so Nikhil and I are the only people left in our house right now. We had dinner with Amber and Tahara at a South Indian restaurant in Connaught Place. My Hindi is not so good; it’s about as good as my Japanese. Which means I can understand 1% of what is said, but communicate with about 30% efficiency. And everyone speaks better English than I speak Hindi. One thing that has proven very useful is being able to read Hindi (even though I don’t know what it means), but at least I can read signs. This means I can read town names and basic information at-a-glance like bus signs, train signs, and other signs in remote parts of the country where English is not commonly used.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you're teacher was running on IST?

BTW, you need to get back so we can get wasted. Although it seems like I've been doing enough drinking for the both of us...