Monday, July 31, 2006

Friday, July 21, Party for teachers, switching houses

Today I spent sleeping in, taking a shower, and then going online for three hours. Vijay made us sit down and talk to him and the manager of Dev Dar to see why it was so horrible. Honestly, I don’t care, I’m leaving tomorrow. I’m not going to fight for future generations. There was the party for the Landour Teachers. It was awkward; just like a company Christmas party. The food was really good, and tandoori-style (which really made me mad because this whole time we didn’t have one tandoori dish). The school servant came, but was forced to sit in the dark corner without any company. It was really sad for me to see that, even among a really Westernized group of intellectuals. In rural India, this would be greatly exacerbated. After that, Mariel, Kim, and Alix wanted me to live with them in the Palace place with them, Tara, Snehal, Ro, Purin, and Nikhil. They have AC, marble floors, a bar, high-speed internet, beautiful bathrooms, lounges, an awesome location super-close to campus and the Metro in Civil Lines. I really wanted to live there, so I asked Erin if it was ok if I opted out of our house (because I don’t hang out with those people, it’s far from campus, and I really don’t want to room with a girl). She was pissed, and didn’t say anything, but was hurt/pissed, I could tell, and said she’d discuss it tomorrow on the bus ride. What would they do, force me to stay there? I didn’t sign anything. So like five minutes later, she said it was ok, no hard feelings, and that she’d just have a single in the same house. I’m so stoked to be living with those people in “the palace”, as we like to call it.

No comments: