Monday, July 03, 2006

Monday, June 26 First day of class

I was awoken at 4 in the morning by Daniel saying “Tyler, I need to go to the hospital”. So I had to get up and rush to call Vijay, and he called a cab for us. We got into the cab, which backed up…into the guard rail! The driver just kind of grunted and drove us to the community hospital nearby. I have 95% confidence he was drunk going around the cliff curves. We waited in the hospital and they took his vitals, but he had to wait for the doctor to come in a little later, so we left him there and walked all the way back to the cottages. Then I slept on the lodge couch before having breakfast and going to the first day of Hindi class at the Landour Language School. After class, I went to lunch and then to the internet café. I checked my grades. I got an A in India, A- in accounting (I should have received an A but oh well), a B in Writing 109EC (which I probably deserved), and a C in Econ 100A (which is horrible but honestly I didn’t know anything in that class and I guessed on half of the answers on the final, so I’m kind of glad to just pass). There was a meeting about our hiking trip to Yamanotri. We are staying in hotels and stopping for chai every couple of hours. Trek my ass. The main guide (name: Dinker) looked like a drunk Irish man, or Kramer, and said, “I hope everything goes well….After dinner you can socialize or gossip or whatever you do…Please don’t climb the mountains, I know they may be attractive”. I was cracking up the whole time. The itinerary was written from bottom to top, and it included a quote that says, “Certainly one of the most fascinating valley” and it also indicated “non-veg is not allowed”. Oh India. Mussoorie was like an Indian fair. It has arcades, carnival games, sweet shops, clothing, music stores, and gift shops. There were a lot of Indian tourists, especially rich Sikhs. They all wanted pictures with Nick because he is white. I bought some 4R samosas from the street and some $12 Bacardi at the government wine shop that looked like either a prohibition distribution point or a Cannabis club operation. I came back and then did some studying for my Hindi because people were saying that everyone at dinner was studying their butts off. Oh great. These smart Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD people are going to ruin my grades.

No comments: