Saturday, July 15, 2006

Wednesday, July 12 Attacks on Mumbai and by leeches

This morning apparently there were bombings in the new Mumbai subway where hundreds of people died. Mumbai is a target And Delhi is on high alert; awesome I'll be living there in a week. But I feel like although Delhi is the capital and administrative center of the democratic (Westernized) nation, Mumbai is more populated, crowded, picturesque, wealthy, and is the center of Indian culture, finance, and entertainment. Whereas Mumbai is like New York, Delhi is like the Washington D.C., the capital but a little-brother/wishes-it-could-be-as-good, sprawling, inland, polluted, ugly, deserty, in comparison to Mumbai. I love my opinion of my place of residence for the next six months. Experts believe that Al-Qaeda is responsible for the attacks. I think people just blame Al-Qaeda for everything; 9/11, London bombings, global warming. Al-Qaeda just likes destroying anything new and beautiful I guess. That is, if you consider capitalism and Westernization beautiful. I like iPods and Aquafina, though, so I can’t even talk, though. Some people emailed me with their concerns for my safety, which was considerate. Others just sent me drunk Facebook messages, which of course I LOVE as well. The bombing is all over the press, it’s a big deal. Planes are delayed, they’re still looking for leads, the train security is high, etc. I spent the afternoon reading How to Win Friends and Influence People, which I have meaning to read for years. People made fun of me for it (maybe because I had my pen out and was taking notes), but whatever. It actually kind of led me to question it: How is Dale Carnegie going to prove to be the most popular person? Would he have like 3000 Facebook friends? Jk. And he writes, “The Orientals have spent five thousand years studying human nature, those cultured Chinese”. I went on a walk with Maia and Lena through the Dev Dar Woods. You could see the snow-capped Himalayan peaks really well. I stepped in a huge pile of cow dung and apparently a leech. It was on my toe sucking my blood, so I freaked out and knocked it away. I stepped on it and it squirted dark blood everywhere, like a Pollock on the sidewalk. I didn’t even feel it sucking my blood, and it kept bleeding forever. I’m assuming I’m not going to get sick because they use them in medical situations….Yeah, in like the 15th CENTURY! What is the point of leeches in the circle of life? No one knows. It’s like spiders; yeah, they kill other bugs, yet who even wants a spider in their house (is that somehow better than a fly?)?!? I watched Clueless (on the hard drive of Rudy’s computer…not surprising). My stomach is churning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

leeches are actually still currently used on amputees to increase circulation in their poor stumps. you know, in case you were wondering.